Richard Eyer Smith's Excellent Adventures in Paradise


Monday, October 17, 2011

HOW TO FIX AMERICA - QUICK!

I have the answer to all of America’s problems.

Seriously.

I read them in the Good Book when I was a boy growing up in small-town Willmar, Minnesota.

No, not that good book. I’m talking about the Boy Scout Handbook.

In it you can read the following:

Scout Oath

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.


You can also read:

Scout Law

A Scout is:
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful,
Friendly, Courteous, Kind,
Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty,
Brave, Clean, Reverent.


It’s that simple, ladies and gents.

If we – every last one of us – actually followed these basic rules . . . no more, no less . . . our nation would be that shining beacon to the world we aspire to be.

I love simple and true answers to complex issues.

How about you?

No comments: