Richard Eyer Smith's Excellent Adventures in Paradise


Thursday, July 22, 2010

YOU'RE GETTING SLEEPY


I am, among many things, a hypnotist. I have been in practice off-and-on for the past twenty two years. Here's a link to my hypnosis website. Over the years I have worked with many people on business related issues and I've taught "Hypnosis For Sales" classes.

One of the first things I learned in my hypnosis training was how to use scripted inductions and suggestions. As a hypnosis newbie, I found it very helpful to know just what to say, and when and how to say it.

"As you begin to relax, you can notice your eyelids becoming heavy, very heavy, and you...blah, blah, blah."

I just memorized a few scripts and used them over and over. Most of the time they worked beautifully - but sometimes not. Also, the more I relied on scripts, the more I found myself growing weary of being a "hypnosis machine" rather than a caring human being.

What I discovered was that I could be much more effective if, rather than droning on and on, boring my clients into a trance, I could use the behavior they presented in the office to intensify their experience. When they move in the "trance chair," for example, I might say, "Moving just so, that's right, perfect, more relaxed, deeper and deeper." In hypnotherapy we call this "utilization".

I think there is a connection here with network marketing. We like the comfort of a telephone script or a one-on-one dialogue. It feels good to have a set of pre-planned answers to objections. We look for a Magic Formula that will lead prospects, entranced, into our business opportunity.

Sometimes those things might work. We may give a "canned" response to a common question and move the process forward.

More often than not, however, we find ourselves fending off objections and giving scripted answers, but the prospect simply isn't satisfied. They fail to see the beauty of our products, the symmetry of our compensation plan or the wisdom of our upline. It just doesn't resonate with them.

As you read this, think of how you might be more successful by incorporating utilization into your discussions with prospects. Rather than enthusiastically sharing your business plan, find out "where they are". Learn what is going on in their mind. Explore what they value, what they want for themselves and then utilize what they present.

"I'm frustrated by my lack of ability to control my schedule," a busy mother might say.
Rather than jumping in with, "My opportunity will give you the ability to take better control of your time," you could identify her present emotion - frustration - and reply, "What does it feel like when you lose control of your schedule?"
Now you are entering her world, and that's where she lives and that's where she makes her decisions.

This can really work for you.
Give it a try!

No comments: